Monday, February 18, 2013

My Fears Became Reality

I finally had good enough weather to check my hives Saturday and today.  Its been a pretty depressing weekend.  Saturday I checked my hive and no bees.  The hive had honey, but probably only 2 dozen dead bees laying on the bottom board.  I am not sure what happened on that hive.  I went on to check 11 more of my hives at another yard.  Every single one was dead.  Most of them were within inches of honey, but they appeared to have starved.  I was heart broken.  You get pretty attached to these hives.  I grabbed all the frames with dead bees so that I can clean them up.  What a job!  Today I finished cleaning the frames and went to check my last three hives.  The first one was dead.  I felt like I was bound to find two more dead outs.  I went to my last yard.  The first hive had live bees.  I about jumped 10 feet back in shock!  The last hive was dead, so I took the honey and added it to the hive that was still alive since it was a little low.  I also put a fresh pollen patty on part of the cluster so that they will hopefully start to build up. One out of fifteen hives made it.  What a horrible record.  All I can do is learn from it.

Here is what I think happened and what I need to change:

  • Hives need more sun.  Most of my hives get great summer sun, but winter they get more shade than I would like.  I may need to move my hives to get full sun during the winter months.  
  • More ventilation.  Some of the hives seemed to have sweat on the honey.  I think I need to either have a top entrance for ventilation or drill holes in my hive boxes.  I really don't want to put holes in my boxes, so I think I will go down the route of creating a top entrance to allow ventilation.  
  • Healthier bees in the fall.  I fed my bees a protein patty in the fall, but I have realized not all protein patties are created equal.  I must say I was very disappointed with the ones I had bought last year.  The bees just wouldn't take it.  I also think it was such a dry year that the nectar and pollen was just insufficient.  I had skinny bees even though they had food, it was most likely from only a couple sources of plants that still managed to produce a little nectar and pollen even though it was such a dry year.  Here is a great article that talks about needing fat bees. It is a little technical, but I found it interesting:  http://scientificbeekeeping.com/bee-nutrition/
  • I may need to figure out a way to insulate my hives a little better.  On the other hand, I have to be careful the hives have good ventilation.  
I know it sounds funny, but I was the happiest person on earth to see at least one hive made it.  Now I have to work harder to make sure I have healthier bees going into winter.  Always something to learn with beekeeping.

Happy Beekeeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment