Thursday, May 26, 2011

Capturing a Swarm

We had a pretty cool experience on May 13.  I put my name on the swarm removal list and the next day I received my first call. It came that morning and I had meetings at work until 3:00 p.m.  I was worried I would be too late and sure enough I was.  I was pretty disappointed.  We have a week hive from the nuc we purchased and I figured a good healthy swarm could help strengthen it.  I received another call about 7:00 p.m. and we were off.  Natalie and the girls came with me and we went and put the swarm in a box.  The swarm was a lot bigger than I thought and it packed the nuc box to the brim.  I couldn't get them all in, so I left the box over night and then picked them up in the morning.

The next morning I went early before they started to fly and they were all tucked nicely in the box.  I put them in my SUV (a pickup would have been a little more ideal) and brought them home.  We got them home without incident. I weighed the bees and I figured the swarm was about nine pounds of bees.  This was three times the size of the package we had purchased a few weeks before. I put them in their place and removed the screen from the entrance, the bees came flooding out.  They pretty much covered more than 75% of the exterior of the box.  I realized I needed to get them in a bigger box and it needed to be right away.   It was a lot of fun capturing that swarm.     

I will post the video shortly.  You can see just how graceful I am on my first swarm capture. 

If you ever see a swarm of honey bees, please call me or a local beekeeper.  Honey bees are so valuable to our food supply.  Please do not call an exterminator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment