Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Bees

This was a great week for the bees.  The temperatures warmed up and the blossoms were in full swing.  I checked four of the hives on Monday and I was able to see the queen in three of them. It was the first time I have been able to find her in the hive.  I have seen her in the queen cages, but never free in the hive.  They are amazing.  I wish I had a camera.  She is quite a bit larger than the other bees and she is really graceful compared to the worker bees.  It made my day to see the queens.  The last two nucs at least have a queen, so I am least feeling a little better about that.  They still have a long way to go before they are a strong hive.  I left the hives alone the rest of the week, but they were sure busy bring in pollen and I would assume nectar.  This week is suppose to start out wet and then warm up should be a good combination for nectar. 

I love talking to people about bees.  They fascinate me and appear to have the same affect on those I talk to about them. We had two Mothers Day parties tonight and I had fun explaining all about bees.  I would say like a lot of things most people just don't understand bees or has never really been around someone who is keeping them.  I know I didn't know anything about them until I started researching them.  I still have a lot to learn, but they sure are fascinating. I do think a lot more people are becoming interested in keeping bees.  Natalie has a couple of friends who both commented their husbands are interested in keeping bees.  They had no idea we were already keeping them.

One question was asked where does the phrase "its none of your bees wax" come from.  I have no idea.  Any one know?

Nature's Hive     

No comments:

Post a Comment