Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Couple of Videos from Last Year.

I thought I would repost a couple of videos from last year.  These were a lot of fun.  It is fun to have the whole family involved.  My Dad and I do most of the beekeeping duties, but my wife and girls enjoy watching us start new hives and harvest time. We aren't the best at making videos, but hopefully you can see how much fun this hobby is.  The fist one is of us installing a package of bees.



This next video is of us installing a nucleus hive.  The weather was really cool this year, so we had to get the nuc and package right into the hive as quickly as we could.


The final video was of us capturing a swarm.  I didn't do a very good job of catching all the bees, but somehow I got lucky and got the queen.  I left the box there over night and probably 95% of the bees found their way into the hive.  This was a lot of fun.  Bees are typically very gentle in a swarm because they don't have a lot to protect.  They don't have brood or food storage to protect so they are really focused on finding a new home.  This was a blast!  Cannot wait for swarm season (as long as it isn't my hives). 

2 comments:

  1. But where's the video of you getting stung on the neck? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one didn't get recorded, but that would have been a good one!

    ReplyDelete