Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I am sold out!

This should be an exciting spring.  I have started making all the boxes.  I will be making about 105 boxes.  I am going to really need to speed up the process I can tell already.  I enjoy working with the wood though.  We have 1,050 frames and foundation coming to us any day, so I am going to see if my Dad can help me assemble all of those.  I have sold 10 hives and hopefully can increase my yards by 10 hives.  That means we purchased 15 packages of bees.  12 will go straight into hives and 3 of them I will make nucleus hives out of.  I will give them a couple of frames of built out foundation and maybe even a frame of bees to help boost their population.  This should get them really going.  It will be a busy Saturday, but should be a lot of fun. I am also scheduled to receive my queens on the 19 of April and so I will need to have made up my splits probably the Monday after I get all the packages.  I cannot wait for April.  We will need some good weather around the middle of April for me to be able to get it all done.  

I checked the bees again this last Saturday.  All the hives are still alive, but I am a little nervous for a couple of them.  They just have pretty small clusters and hope they can make it through.  I am hoping to make at least 6 splits and possibly 8 if I have strong enough hives.  I will start feed them pollen sub patties probably in the next week or so.  I already put one on my weakest hive and they have not even touched it.  My guess is it is too cold for them and they don't want anything to do with it.  I will keep you posted, but should be a busy, but fun next two months.    

No comments:

Post a Comment